“Pebble Beach has the Quail, Bedford has the Turtle.”
In 2017, the inaugural Turtle Invitational was held at Turtle Garage in Bedford New York. A group of passionate enthusiasts came together for a weekend of comraderie, cars, cocktails, and conversations. A stunning roster of classic cars filled the show field (see photos below). The Turtle Invitational does not aim to be just another stop on the crowded and stale Concours de’ Elegance tour. The goal here is to put on a spectacular weekend gathering where old friends are seen and new ones are made. The Turtle Invitational blends the gravitas of Davos, the beauty of Amelia Island, and the intellectual stimulation of a 19th century Chautaqua. Vehicles are submitted and accepted on an invitation-only basis. All profits benefit the Pray Family Foundation.
The 2019 Turtle Invitational will be held over the weekend of September 21st and 22nd. Festivites will begin on Saturday evening with a fundraiser barbeque at the Pray Achievement Center in Bedford New York. Sunday’s show will kick off with a breakfast and tour through bucolic North Salem. The show field will open at 10am and the event will culminate with an award ceremony and catered afternoon lunch. Mark your calendars! If you have a car or motorcycle you would like to enter it can be submitted via the new Turtle Invitational webiste by clicking here. Please visit www.turtleinvitational.com for all the details.
TURTLE INVITATIONAL MISSION STATEMENT: The Turtle Invitational is an event about people who love cars.
Rules (subject to change often and without notice):
- Bring your sense of humor. Leave your attitude
- No drama queens, no trailer queens
- We operate by the 1960’s southern racing credo, “We run what we brung.” You must drive your car to the event. If the D Type doesn’t start, bring the small bumper 911 or the 95 Impala SS
- You must bring a written paragraph as to why the car you brought is important to you, not why it is important
- There will be judging and awards given by a blue ribbon panel of somewhat qualified judges. Categories will include:
- Best Pre-War and Post-War cars. The determining war is the Falkland Islands war. For those of you who missed it, it occurred in 1982.
- Best Hose Job – Awarded to the biggest financial disaster on the field. If you are hopelessly underwater on your car, please nominate it.
- Longest Drive – Awarded to the vehicle that traveled the furthest to attend
- Best Original Car – Pretty straightforward
- Judges’ Choice – Not straightforward and subject to influence peddling, flattery, etc.
- The PJN Award for Best Race Car —Presented by Clea Newman, daughter of Paul Newman
- Best Italian Sportscar —Presented by our rescue dog, Luigi
Photos from the 2017 Turtle Invitatioanal (All photos courtesy of SEL Photography):
Dinner at the Pray Achievement Center: